Monday, April 7, 2008

Training for my frist Triathlon

First, forgive me for not starting out on this blog segment which an explanation as to why I’ve decided to begin blogging in the first place.

Working for a large natural food store, Henry’s Farmers Market, I come in contact with literal hundreds of people, discussing and answering questions about nutrition and supplements. So I thought that maybe I can help even more people by posting some of my experiences.

Why a TRI:
I’ve ran numerous 10k’s, half-marathons, and some full marathons but about four years ago I’ve wanted to give a triathlon a try. I looked at the Tri magazines, bought some tri books, looked on-line for information, went to a tri club meeting and thought, wow – this looks great.

Little background:
About four years ago, for my birthday, my husband bought me a road bike so I could train for a triathlon. I rode the bike about five times and then it sat in the garage, dust- laden and all. You see, I realized while riding my bike, the few times I did ride it, that I didn’t know how to change the tire, I couldn’t get the gears down properly, and the pedal clips were incorrectly place so I could hardly get out of them in time before falling over. Hence, that’s why the bike sat in the garage - I was afraid of it.

And swimming? I took a few classes at the YMCA to improve my stroke but once I started thinking of swimming any long distance, drowning and gasping for air was all I could imagine.

January 2008:
As with the beginning of every year, I too made my New Years Resolutions. But it wasn’t to try a TRI. Not until a couple of weeks into January I received a flyer from the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society inviting me to join Team In Training. And wouldn’t you know it, one of the events was an Olympia Distant Triathlon – Sign me up baby!!!

A word on training for a cause:
If you ever wanted to test your physical limits, train yourself as hard as you can, then I suggest: Do it for a cause. Personally, I’ve always been thankful for the blessings that I’m physically able to move, walk, run, swim and so forth, and to be able to do what I enjoy doing and help someone less able, well it make me feel all warm and gushy inside that I can help someone.

Also, let me tell you, there are times when the last thing I want to do is to go to practice. I literal drag myself there. But once I start, and I’m with my team members – it really feels good.

Final word:
If ever you’ve wanted to challenge yourself, get in shape, or have the opportunity to meet a great bunch of people, then let me suggest: find a cause that’s important to you and join up. They have “Race for the Cure,” “The 3 Day Walk,” you name it, it’s out there.
So I hope you will follow me through my training and consider giving it a TRI yoursel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Janet. I've teased around with the idea of a TRI in my mind a few times. My girlfriend and I use to run 5ks once a month. I sometimes struggled with those but I did improve over time and it was alot of fun. I have the same fears about riding and swimming but I guess if you never try or TRI you'll never know. Recently a friend of mine passed away with Lymphomia. I didn't get a chance to say goodbye. Ironically, he is the one who first taught me how to train for a 5k. He pushed me til I became hostile but I still remember his advice to this very day. I would love to support this event but is it a big stretch to go from running (and I'm using the word loosely) a 5k to a full TRI? Would I be setting myself up for defeat? Or would a more reasonable goal be a mini-TRI?

Janet Little said...

Dear “Trying your first Tri”:

Sorry it took me a little while to respond. I was actually out participating with my first triathlon event (please see the heading My First Triathlon Event).

Like you, I teased around with wanting to give a TRI a try but I didn’t know where or how to start. San Diego has a Tri Club, but back when I was checking out how to do a triathlon, about 4 years ago, the Tri Club didn’t have a very good program for beginners. Now, I’ve heard that they have a great program welcoming newcomers to the triathlon experience. So you may want to check within your community if there is a tri club near you.

However, my best suggestion is to check out the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society for their Team In Training events – that’s what I did. (http://www.teamintraining.org)

I’ve had the greatest experience with TNT (Team In Training). They really take you step-by-step in your training preparation for a Tri event. I had some people in my group that had never been in any kind of race event and they did very well for their first event.

The next training event coming up for TNT is the Pacific Grove Triathlon event. Give it a TRI. I don’t think you would be setting yourself up for failure and training with a group of people is so motivating, plus knowing that you’re helping to find a cure for blood cancers really adds icing to your training cake.

Please let me know how you do

Janet